The Starfinder Roleplaying Game (SFRPG) by Paizo is a planned tabletop science-fantasy role-playing game system. While it uses modified rules and a campaign setting linked to Pathfinder's, it is being designed as a standalone product line.1
Paizo announced the game on May 28, 2016, during the 2Preview Banquet, with the first products expected to be released at on August 17–20, 2017.
Design and playtest
In blog posts and interviews before its release, Paizo staff announced several planned features for the Starfinder Roleplaying Game:
- "Conceptual compatibility" with the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, allowing for gamers to convert Pathfinder assets with "a minimum of fuss at the table."3
- A slower release schedule compared to the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game line, and a greater reliance on the Starfinder Adventure Path line to introduce new rules and concepts.3
- Seven core classes:3
- Technomancer ("magical hacker blending technology and magic")
- Mechanic ("engineer with a robot buddy")
- Solarian ("mystical melee combatant harnessing the cycles of the stars")
- Soldier ("heavy weapons specialist")
- Envoy ("diplomat and ally-booster")
- Mystic ("caster channeling strange energies to manipulate biological systems")
- Operative ("stealthy skill specialist")
- A feel similar to Star Wars, but with "more magic and moral ambiguity".3
- Starships, including:
- A greater focus on exploration than in Pathfinder, with a galactic scale, many alien worlds and races, and the assumption that player characters comprise the crew of a starship.3
- Starship battles with a distinct miniatures-based combat system3 on a hexagonal grid4 with facing and distinct roles for party members similar to Star Trek bridge officers.5
- A system to design, build, and upgrade custom starships.6
- Plans for a compatibility license, reference document, and organized play program all similar to Pathfinder's.3
While the system is designed to be largely compatible with Pathfinder, there are also some significant differences:
- Magic items work differently, and Pathfinder's magic item creation system will be omitted or radically changed.7
- Some skills are consolidated, while other skills are added.8
- Cybertechnology, such as body modifications and implants, are integrated into the core system.9
Unlike the Pathfinder Roleplaying Game, which had a massive 3before its release, the Starfinder Roleplaying Game would have a closed playtest, a decision made due to the limited timeframe to release the core rules. The closed playtest "will feature other RPG designers and third-party publishers, members, and various key members of the industry and community".
- Paizo Staff. (Retrieved November 23, 2016). Starfinder, Starfinder.
- James L. Sutter. (May 28, 2016). Announcing the Starfinder Roleplaying Game, Paizo Blog.
- James L. Sutter. (September 30, 2016). Starfinder—What We've Revealed So Far, Paizo blog.
- James L. Sutter. (October 14, 2016). That's No Moon..., Paizo blog.
- Charlie Hall. (November 17, 2016). Starfinder hopes to do for space opera what D&D has done for fantasy, Polygon.
- James L. Sutter. (November 11, 2016). Captain's Log, Stardate Something-Something..., Paizo blog.
- James Haeck. (June 4, 2016). Interview with the creator of Starfinder, Pathfinder's sci-fi sister game, Geek & Sundry.
- Gamer Goggles and James L. Sutter. (August 12, 2016). Gen Con 2016 Coverage 21: Starfinder with James L. Sutter (2:58), Gamer Goggles Canton Ohio YouTube channel.
- Gamer Goggles and James L. Sutter. (August 12, 2016). Gen Con 2016 Coverage 21: Starfinder with James L. Sutter (3:09), Gamer Goggles Canton Ohio YouTube channel.
|First Contact||June 17, 2017||John Compton, Jason Keeley, Robert G. McCreary, and James L. Sutter|
|Core Rulebook||August 17, 2017||Paizo Staff|
|GM Screen||August 17, 2017||Paizo Staff|
|Player Character Folio||August 17, 2017||Paizo Staff|
|Alien Archive||October 25, 2017||Paizo Staff|
|Pact Worlds||March 28, 2018||Paizo Staff|
|Armory||July 27, 2018||Paizo Staff|
|Alien Archive 2||October 17, 2018||Paizo Staff|
|Beginner Box||April 24, 2019||Paizo Staff|
|Alien Archive 3||August 28, 2019||Paizo Staff|
|Character Operations Manual||November 13, 2019||Paizo Staff|
|Near Space||March 25, 2020||Paizo Staff|
|Starship Operations Manual||July 30, 2020||Paizo Staff|
|Alien Archive 4||December 9, 2020||Paizo Staff|
|Galaxy Exploration Manual||June 2, 2021||Paizo Staff|
|Tech Revolution||September 22, 2021||Paizo Staff|
|Galactic Magic||January 26, 2022||Paizo Staff|
|Drift Crisis||May 25, 2022||Paizo Staff|
|Interstellar Species||November 16, 2022||Paizo Staff|
|Ports of Call||May 24, 2023||Paizo Staff|